Saturday, September 04, 2004

The Wish List



The Wish List by Eoin Colfer, James Wilby, Narrator

School has started so the time available for "unconscious delight" has shortened. On a recent trip to install daughter #2 at college, daughter #3 and I began listening to this book. We are huge fans of Artemis Fowl. (I LOVED the ending of The Eternity Code.)

The Wish List is one of the BEST books I have ever listened to. James Wilby is absolutely brilliant as a narrator. His character voicings are delightful and his pacing is perfect. I cannot imagine reading this book now without hearing his lilt.

Meg Finn knows she is taking a step toward the "dark" side when she accompanies Belch Brennan on a burglary of old Lowrie McCall's "granny flat." The episode results in her death and the next thing she knows, she is hurtling down a tunnel towards a light ... and a fork in the road. The blue auras are streaming towards St. Peter, the red ones towards Beelzebub. Meg's aura is "purple."

St. Peter and Beelzebub consult together on their secret cell phone (this exchange is hilarious) and decide to return her to Earth to clarify her color and ultimate destination. Meg must help old Lowrie McCall with the unresolved issues in his life by assisting him to accomplish four wishes.

Their relationship is fractious, she is a young teen and he is a man with a bad heart and many regrets in his life. As we listen and the story develops, we feel the bond and affection developing between the two. I don't know how it will turn out. There are many hazards in their path, including the return of the very stupid Belch who has been sent by Beelzebub to thwart Meg and Lowrie's chances.

This book is so funny and entertaining! When the main character died in the first chapter, I wasn't sure I would enjoy the story. Now, I can't wait to listen to the next bit. I am being very good and waiting for my girl to get home so I will not "get ahead!"

By the way Eoin is prononunced "Owen."

No comments: