Monday, March 27, 2006

Gotta have it...

One of the joys of subbing at a school library is finding great books I didn't know about. I also enjoy recommending books I've read and then walking over to the shelf to find them. One of the frustrations is recommending a book for only to find the library does not own it.

I am going to start keeping a list of "gotta have it" books for my "virtual" school library. I would purchase these books for an elementary AND jr. high library unless specifically noted, (E) - elementary only, (JH) - jr. high only.


Story Picture Books
Little Sap and Monsieur Rodin
by Michelle Lord, 2006
My Shining Star: Raising a Child who is Ready to Learn by Rosemary Well, 2006
The True Story of Stellina by by Matteo Pericoli, 2006
Duck & Goose, written and illustrated by Tad Hills (E)
Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin
Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel, David Catrow, illustrator

Nonfiction
ER Vets: Life in an Animal Emergency Room by Donna M. Jackson (E)
Sky Boys: How they built the Empire State Building, by Deborah Hopkinson & James E. Ransome (E)

Fiction
London Calling by Edward Bloor, 2006 (JH)
Travel Team by Mike Lupica, 2004
Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud, 2006
Ark Angel by Anthony Horowitz, 2006
Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman, 2006 (JH+)
Heat by Mike Lupica, 2006
Free Baseball
by Sue Corbett, 2006
B For Buster by Iain Lawrence
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan and the sequel The Sea of Monsters
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm
A House of Tailors by Patricia Riley Giff,
Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel (seqel to Airborn)
Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach
Last Shot by John Feinstein
Jimmy Coates: Assassin? by Joe Craig
The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer
Happy Kid by Gail Gauthier (JH)
The Bridesmaid
by Hailey Abbott (JH)
Code Orange by Caroline B. Cooney (JH)
Chicks with Sticks: It's a Purl Thing by Elizabeth Lenhard (JH)
Blood Red Horse by K. M. Grant (JH)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Camille,

What a great list! Thanks! And thanks for your feedback, on my site, regarding the Bartimaeus books. I will have to give the non-audio version a try. I keep seeing all these great reviews of the books, and it does bug me a bit to have given up on them.

Michele said...

I finally have a library copy of Shakespeare's Secret on my TBR... I'm hoping to get to it later next week.